Congratulations to Jon on graduating from Airborne School on September 1st, 2011! Airborne School is a 3-week course designed to qualify soldiers in the use of the parachute as a means of combat deployment and to develop leadership, self-confidence, and an aggressive spirit through mental and physical conditioning (thank you Wikipedia). The course consists of "Ground Week", "Tower Week" and "Jump Week," with Jump Week being the scariest (for me at least!) where Jon had to sucessfully complete 5 jumps out of an airplane. With that said, I am extremely happy that it's over and I even had the privilege of pinning Jon's Airborne wings on him during the ceremony. Unfortunately, the ceremony was at 9:00 am and Donna (Jon's mother) and Tim (Jon's brother) were not able to make it but they were able to come down to Columbus later that day. We had a great visit with them on Thursday and Friday filled with Mexican food, homemade pizza, chocolate pound cake with peanut butter glaze, brownies & ice cream, and lots of qualtiy time. We rented Inception and watched it at the movie theater here in our apartment complex - which was awesome having a mini movie theater all to ourselves! The apartment folks even popped us popcorn in the theater for our movie (which we were all too stuffed to eat... until we smelled it and each had a bag!) Tim left Friday night to go pick up Amie at the airport and Saturday morning we took Donna to the airport so she could be on her way to San Antonio. From there, we continued our extended holiday weekend to North Carolina.
If you know me at all, you know this makes me extremely happy. I love visiting my family, I love North Carolina, and I love quality time! (Side note: On our way to NC we saw a very interesting sight on the road... an alligator in the back of someone's truck...) Once we arrived in Lincolnton, we were able to spend a couple of days with my family which of course also consisted of delicious food - Mom's ceviche and chuletas, Bojangles, Costa Rican pastries from Tico Pan, and Jon's delicious French Toast. If you haven't noticed, our families have a lot in common, we love food! I should add that our time in NC was shared with our "adopted" Korean-but-I-want-to-be-Hispanic friend, Ed Kim. Ed went to school with us and was in ROTC with Jon, he is stationed at Ft. Stewart, GA and my main goal in life is to find him a Hispanic wife.
Well, after such a blessed weekend with both of our families and a long weekend of eating, Jon and I are back to healthy food this week and we have Jon's first day of his new training to look forward to: the Captain's Career Course. More on his first days and PT test later!




No comments:
Post a Comment