Last weekend Jon and I had a nice little restful weekend here in Columbus. Friday after work, we went out spontaneously for happy hour! Haha - thank you Chilis for happy hour apps and drinks. After having delicious greasy appetizers we thought it would be a good idea to go for a walk. We ventured over to The Landings not to far from where we live and walked around the little stores. It is incredible all the stores located in this small area, including a natural foods store and an "adventures in living" store that had an insane amount of Georgia and Auburn gear... boy do I miss being surrounded by everything Carolina and the beautiful color that is Carolina Blue :) anyway, this store was certainly interesting with all the hiking/camping equipment, cute dresses, and Toms shoes! If you are not familiar with the Toms brand, I strongly urge you to check out their website. For each pair of shoes that you buy, Toms will give a pair to a child in need. AND they recently started doing the same thing with sunglasses, which I think is even more impressive, with every one pair of glasses that you buy, Toms will help give sight to a person in need. They do this by way of medical treatment, prescription glasses, or eye surgery! How incredible is that? Well, after leaving Kinnucan's (the adventure store) we started walking back towards the car when a man came out from a restuarant and gave us a menu for Cafe Le Rue. After looking at the Cajun New Orleans menu we were sold! Too bad we weren't dressed for "date night" so we decided to return another night.
Saturday morning, Jon and I had a delightful Chick-Fil-A breakfast date and everyone in the Chick-Fil-A was completely covered in either Geogia or Auburn paraphernalia (again, insert comment about missing Carolina). I wonder if Columbus is like this year-round or just for football season? Either way, breakfast was so so good, per usual. Surprisingly, we had not been to this part of town where Chick-Fil-A was yet and decided to drive around a bit and thank goodness we did because we found a Fresh Market! OH, we looked like kids in a candy shop, but it was so nice to find an organic grocery store, I was sure I'd given that life up moving to an Army town. I have to say that walking in to that store was like a breath of fresh air. It is the PERFECT alternative when you don’t have a Whole Foods/Trader Joes in the area! All the produce looked so fresh and colorful. We were able to get organic fruits and vegetables that are nowhere to be found at Walmart and Jon made a beer sampler pack while I found some eggplant empanadas. PLUS, you can sample anything in the store, so clearly Jon loved that :) I know it seems like we are lame if a grocery store was the highlight of our day but we love food and we are old people at heart. When we moved from Fort Campbell, I was expecting to be moving to a worse place than Clarksville but, luckily, I have been proven wrong. (Not that there is anything wrong with Clarksville, but it just wasn't for me). I also had a biased opinion of Columbus from the short amount of time I spent here visiting Jon before we got married... I was scarred from those visits... one day I will tell of those stories...



No comments:
Post a Comment