Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Veteran's Day Weekend


My new "Hope" shoes
Happy Veteran's Day to all present and former men and women of the United States Military. Your sacrifices are much appreciated and I am honored to be the wife of a current Army Captain!  Unfortunately for Jon, his Veteran's Day celebrations included getting all four of his wisdom teeth taken out.  Although, he was unable to eat and pretty swollen on Thursday after his surgery, we were really blessed there were no complications during and after his surgery.  He's almost back to 100% and we had no issues during his recovery, well except for his stomach being hungry!  Thursday and Friday we were able to spend some time with my mother-in-law, Donna, and brother-in-law, Tim.  This was a very special visit because Donna just left to go back to Peru where her and Kenny (Jon's father) are missionaries.  It was bittersweet enjoying our time together and knowing we would not see Donna again for another year but we're also incredibly excited for the work they are doing for the Kingdom.  To find out more about Kenny and Donna's work in Peru, you can read their blog, Peru for Christ.  During, Donna and Tim's visit we got to go shopping!  This was our very first trip to the Columbus mall, which was a lot bigger than I expected.  A couple of months ago in my blog I mentioned the Tom's shoe brand and how awesome it is (which it is still awesome) BUT I have found another awesome brand that is doing a similar project called "The Good Shoe Project."  Airwalk has partnered with World Vision and for every shoe that is sold they will donate a pair to a child in need.  The Hope shoe is sold at Payless and is only $19.99 (instead of the $50 for Tom's) but this project is only expected to go through mid February.  I got my Hope shoe, now go get yours!  Merry Thanksgiving to me :) Well, the boys eventually got restless about all the shopping but we did find Tim some new clothes and shoes for his new soon-to-be post grad school life, mission accomplished.  Every Nuclear Engineer needs new jeans and new shoes!  At the end of the night, after Donna showed me how to make a roast with potatoes and carrots, we (Jon and I) put on our Carolina jerseys and watched the UNC vs. Michigan State basketball game that was held on board the USS Carl Vinson at North Island Naval Station in San Diego, California!  My school truly is the best, go heels!


After Tim and Donna left, Jon and I responsibly tried to do some Christmas shopping and Spain planning.  The verdict - accomplished a bit but still much more to go!  We booked our Madrid hotel alongside some Dark Chocolate Pumpkin Bars - super healthy and hit the spot!

I love the Army because for major holidays they (usually) give everyone a 4-day weekend and I love 4-day weekends because a.) I get to spend more time with Jon b.) We (sometimes) get to go to NC or another fun place and c.) Jon has enough free time to make breakfast AND dinner.  Yes, I was spoiled yesterday.  On a usual Monday I would have oatmeal for breakfast and some quick, thrown together dinner made by yours truly.  But not yesterday!  Jon made french toast for breakfast and a healthy Cheesecake Factory Louisianna Chicken Pasta for dinner.  It was pure joy.  Tasted so incredibly delicious and literally a thousand times healthier!  Hence, I have instated a weekly reoccurance of Jon's new dish.  Thanks, love!

Also, in my quick and hasteful post I want to mention that last week I hosted a wine night with my girlfriends here in our apartment.  It was awesome having a mid-week girls night with tasty treats, yummy wine, and delightful company!  Speaking of, we probably need to get started on planning the next one ;)
 
Rache, Sally, Allison, Evangelina, me, and Jordan!

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog!!!! I am signed in under Kenny, so both of us, but mainly me, will be a faithful follower of the Flaspoehlers. Had a marvelous time with you guys! xoxo, Donna

    ReplyDelete